Discussion: Copyright and images in tutorialsReported This is a featured thread

Showing 3 posts
ghussey
ghussey
Copyright and images in tutorials
Jan 24 2011, 2:51 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 24 2011, 2:51 AM EST
Will people share how they are handling copyright around database images in their tutorials or static screen shots please.
thanks
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
ghussey
ghussey
1. RE: Copyright and images in tutorials
Jun 29 2011, 6:20 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 29 2011, 6:20 AM EDT
Sadly, I have not received any responses..... :( Do you find this valuable?    
Kazakoff
Kazakoff
2. RE: Copyright and images in tutorials
Sep 20 2011, 10:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 20 2011, 10:46 AM EDT
"Will people share how they are handling copyright around database images in their tutorials or static screen shots please.
thanks"
ghussey:

I just saw your post. At ANTS we have long advised people that a screenshot of a set of database results from a specific search -at a specific point in time - is something vendors do not get excited about ... simply because we are not threatening their product (and in fact are advertising it). However, images are another issue - as they fall under the domain of a complete artistic work.

I would say that any image that is a very small icon that is barely noticeable in a database result set, is likely not an issue. Anything like a large image in an ARTSTOR search is another matter unless the image you display falls outside of copyright protection (i.e. is in the Public Domain.) A similar problem would be encountered if you did a screencast where a complete poem was displayed.

If you need to create a screencast for an image database, first ensure that the result you are showing is for something in the public domain.

Sorry I did not see your post until now, but I do hope this helps.

Carmen
Do you find this valuable?