Discussion: Sound and Camtasia - record sound and screen - record separatelyReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 post
Richard.Baer
Richard.Baer
Sound and Camtasia - record sound and screen - record separately
Feb 28 2013, 11:54 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 28 2013, 11:54 AM EST
My most recent tutorial (Google Scholar) required me to record a section at home without my trusty headset, so I muted the machine microphone and recorded it as silent. At work, I recorded the second part but because the first was silent I recorded it silent as well. Then I needed to add various images.. long story short, the whole thing had no sound.

Which was a blessing because I now think that it is better to record your tutorial with no sound, then add voice narration after.

Thinking back, I realize that when recording screen and audio, my attention is split between navigating screens and talking coherently. If you mute your headset, you can talk as you go through screens which gives you an idea of how long to stay on a screen, when to move on etc.
You can then add callouts, do your zooms, get it ready to go.
Then you can write a narration script or just practice if it is short enough and record your narration. Then, when you start voice narration, youn only have to focus on commenting on the video as it plays. If you get stumblemouth, you only have to erase the audio and try again, no need to re-record your screens.
I wish I had thought of this long ago.
Do you find this valuable?    

Sign in to be the first to reply.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)